Friday, August 27, 2021

The Maverick | Ranger Arch


He was called the "Lone Ranger," after all.

I followed up my Oath of Strangers with another unorthodox gunslinger (though slightly less unorthodox than the pala-gun was): a ranger archetype!

I've written about the differences between paladins and rangers before, but having two subclasses for two different classes that both share a "cowboy-gunslinger" theme-aesthetic really brings those differences into relief. The ranger's less formalized chassis allows for expansive features like Gunfighter to provide a more straightforward, though less compellingly unique, solution to the loading property through Fan the Hammer (which I must say is my favorite feature name on the Maverick). And instead of letting tenets do the heavy-lifting of flavor, Night On My Side offers a ribbon. You can also see how in contrast with the paladin's use-recharge Channel Divinity, ranger archetypes often favor features that are "always-on," the way Deadeye is.

Of course, these are tendencies and suggestions rather than hard and fast rule. For the most part, I just hope that this is one more way for a player to have fun as a gunslinger in Fifth Edition!

No comments:

Post a Comment